Recap of Outlaw Training Camp
I've been getting lots of questions about the training camp I went to last weekend, led by CrossFit Trainer Extraordinaire Rudy Nielsen of Outlaw CrossFit in Alexandria, VA. Rudy has quite a few Games athletes in his "stable" and has a big brain when it comes to training for our sport. He's earned a geat reputation, so as soon as he announced a Florida camp, I immediately enrolled.
Camp was held in Naples and 30+ athletes attended from across the country, including Games athletes Elisabeth Akinwale (13th at 2011 Games and winner of the "Killer Kage" event), Cheryl Nasso (2011 Games competitor) and Brandon Phillips (3-time Games competitor), plus soon-to-be-internationally-known Talanya Fortunado (trust me on this one). Members of Affiliate Team CrossFit Vida Brickell, who competed in the 2011 Games, were there, too. Straight up beasts!
The weekend included lecture, technique work, strategy, throwing weights around and a whole lot of exercise.
Here are the six WODs we did:
1. Max Snatch and Max C&J
2. 12.1 AMRAP in 7 minutes of burpees
3. Five rounds for time of: 10 GHD sit-ups, 20 KB snatches 55/35, 40 double-unders
4. AMRAP in 15 min of: 50m swim, 8 handstand push-ups, 30m broad jumps, 20 pistols
5. Seven minutes to find your 5 rep-max of a front squat (no rack allowed, must be cleaned from ground)
6. Three rounds for time of: 400 m run, Bar muscle-ups (3 for women, 5 for men), 30-foot handstand walk, 12 wall balls to 11-foot target 20/14
The weekend was AWESOME, albeit extremely humbling. You can be top dog in your gym, then you get out into the big world of CrossFit and you are a peanut. I was proud to be able to do all the movements and was definitely taken outside of my comfort zone…and I loved every minute of it!
Most of all, I learned new things, gained valuable insight and met incredible people.
Workout of the Day:
4 minute AMRAP of:
1 Rope Climb
8 Hang Squat Snatch 115/75#
2 minute AMRAP of:
6 minute AMRAP of:
6 Strict HSPU (Regionals standard)
12 KBS 32/24kg (vertical standard)
*The 3 AMRAPs should be performed as one continuous WOD. DO NOT REST IN BETWEEN.
– Rest up to 10 minutes.
Run 1 mile